"Sunday Morning, Old School Style . . . "


Greetings,

A quiet Sunday morning here in San Francisco. Clear, bright sunlight streaming through my window. A small list a chores and errands tacked to my refrigerator. A pot of English Breakfast tea steeping in my kitchen. And Bach blasting from my speakers . . .

When I was a very little boy - and the world had just become too much of me to understand - I would retreat to my bedroom and listen to my record player. You remember those enormous record players - the ones about the same size as a large dining room sideboard? Opening the lid of that giant piece of electronics was almost like opening the door to Narnia. I could drop in a round disc of vinyl and music would magically pour out and transport me to any one of a million different places.

One morning, when I was around ten, I discovered in a pile of my parent's unused LP's - a copy of Albert Schweitzer playing the organ works of JS Bach. I can still remember listening to it for the first time. It was magical. It was math. Simple and complex all at the same time. And it remains on of my very favourites.

The Prelude in G Major BWV 541 . . .




and "The Fugue" . . .



Cheers,
tartanscot

Comments

Ms. Smart said…
good sunday. bach as companion is soothing and stimulating. enjoy your day.
Anonymous said…
Now I can guzzle English breakfast tea all day long but classical music gives me the heebie jeebies!
Sandra said…
Albert Schweitzer was one of our lessons when I was in grade school in the 60's. Besides being such a talented man, he was a miracle worker. xoxo
Unknown said…
Sounds like a perfectly prepared Sunday. Now you can capture all great sounds on you iPhone. Take them with you all day while doing chores and errands and stay forever young.

I listen to Sacred Classics on KUSC every Sunday morning 7-9 a.m. oh what a feeling.

Bette
Beautiful! I have been listening while working. Chopin and Beethoven are high on my list. Thanks for sharing Dhong's fabulous room.
rikshaw design said…
i sooo remember those players..i would play the nutcracker and twirl around in my room..this sweet moment was replaced by madonna and a boombox..classy!
Just as clarification - before blissing out to Bach - I would spin around the room listening to "The 5th Dimension" lol !
Renae Moore said…
My family had one of the very same kind of stereo's made by Grundig. Record player inside right?
Great music!
xx

Popular Posts